Thursday, May 25, 2006

The Dandelion is Also a Flower


It has been a wonderful year for dandelions around here. I am not sure if this is because the municipalities are not spraying this year, or if it is just because growing conditions are optimal.

I do know that empty fields are covered with a thick carpet of the flowers. Two weekends ago, I was driving in the countryside around Cookstown when I came across a sea of dandelions growing in a farmer's field. Closer to home, the empty lot behind my apartment building has also seen a lush covering of yellow (now grey) dandelions.

I am torn. On the one hand, I know dandelions are detested as weeds. On the other hand, the dandelion is also a flower -- and a beautiful one at that. I guess I will just have to accept the allergies as the price for seeing the beauty of the flowers.