Friday, March 06, 2009

Today's Toronto Moment

Today was a beautiful, spring-like day and I took advantage of the nice weather to go for a walk at lunch. I work in the Eaton Centre, so I walked down Bay Street to see what was going on at Nathan Phillips Square. You see, this is the 175th anniversary of the founding of Toronto and they were kicking off the celebrations today.

It was an interesting tableau -- there was a school choir on the stage, people sitting listening, and a surprisingly large number of people skating on the artificial rink. I am sure that if I had gotten close enough to the stage I might have even seen the current mayor, David Miller, or an actor portraying the first mayor of Toronto, William Lyon Mackenzie.

The thing which stood out for me, though, was almost lost in the activity of the busy city street. As I walked up Bay Street, I heard the faint sound of someone playing Land of the Silver Birch on a glockenspiel. Somehow, it seemed totally appropriate for the moment.

No comments: