Monday, August 14, 2006

Keeping the Truce

I have avoided making any comments on the situation in Lebanon over the past month. (I had originally intended to say, "since it began" but the more I watch things, the more I realize that the current situation is merely a continuation of previous events.)

I am really torn by the situation. I believe that Israel has the right to defend itself. At the same time, I believe the Palestinian people have had a raw deal and deserve a viable independent state. And of course, I am saddened that Lebanon is once again being ravaged because it is in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I could go into far more detail about the situation, but I don't really see the point. I am neither Israeli nor Palestinian, neither Jew nor Muslim. I do not know what the ultimate solution to the overall conflict will be, but I am sure that keeping the peace will be a large part of it. Since there is no peace, I suppose the sides will have to begin by keeping the truce.