Friday, September 22, 2006

Movie Review - Hollywoodland

Last weekend, I took in the movie Hollywoodland. The movie examines the death -- and life -- of the actor George Reeves, the original Superman.

I have to say that the movie was a very pleasant surprise. While I had been familiar with the story, the movie brought a dimension of sadness that I had never really considered before. The performances were excellent -- especially those of Dianne Laine and Adrian Brody. Ben Affleck, who has never been my favouriate actor, did a very good job portraying a man who felt imprisoned by his own success.

Given the mediocre quality of movies on the market today, I am surprised at how poorly the film is doing in the box office, but I suppose it is to be expected. Younger audiences may never have heard of this particular Reeves and may not be interested in his story. (Certainly, the eight people in the theatre with me were all over the age of forty.) Unfortunately, they are missing a powerful, if sad and disturbing, film.

No comments: