Sunday, November 19, 2006

A Grey Day in Canada

Today is Grey Cup Sunday. CFL football fans throughout the country have congregated in Winnipeg to watch the big game. Millions of others, including my family, will be watching on television. I probably won't.

It's not that I have anything against the Canadian Football League. Truth be told, I prefer the CFL game to the product put out by the National Football League down south. Having said that, "prefer" is a relative term, and preferring the CFL over the NFL is like preferring the cold over the flu. As much as I hate to admit it, football just doesn't appeal to me.

I played football once. I was in Grade 11 and I had an incredible need to fit in with the other kids in school. Since I was a big kid, everyone always urged me to go out for the gridiron gang and that year I decided to go for it. The gym coach who had constantly urged me to go out for the team was ecstatic. My friends on the team were happy that they were going to be bulking up the line.

Imagine everyone's surprise when they discovered that the tall kid with broad shoulders who looked like a football player was so lousy at the game! I like to joke that I was a fourth string player on a three string team, but the truth is that I barely made the fourth string. My biggest contribution was to intimidate the other team with my size when we took to the field for pre-game calisthetics.


I don't regret my football career. I may not have been very good, but I learned a lot about life by playing football. Perhaps the biggest lesson I learned was that I don't enjoy football enough to waste a good part of the day watching the Grey Cup.

No comments: