Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Thoughts from the Frontiers of Leafs Nation

Tonight is the first night of the 2007-2008 NHL season, which for some people is the start of an eight-month holy season that culminates in the Stanley Cup series. For me, however, it is relatively unimportant because I don't really care for hockey.

It may be because I never played it, but I seem to lack the mystical connection that other Canadians feel for the game. I have been known to watch Hockey Night in Canada on occasion, but I am certainly not the sort of rabid fan who would pay to watch games on cable. Nor am I the sort of fan who would pay the high cost of actually attending a game in person.

No, this year I will be content with reading about the games in the sports section of my local newspaper. And for the time being, I am going to savour the fact that Toronto is undefeated this season. Who knows how long that will last?

No comments: