Saturday, December 20, 2008

The Dala-Dala of Toronto

Well, the big storm came and the big storm went, and life goes on in Toronto.

The roads were a mess, as usual for these kinds of things, but the commute home was surprisingly easy. It took about two hours to get from work to apartment (including 30 minutes spent waiting for the bus to turn from the depot onto Yonge Street), but I didn't see any accidents. Perhaps people stayed home -- I know the bus that normally is packed from front to back during blizzards had less than 10 people on it for the entire journey.

The subways, however, were another thing all together. It was so jam-packed with people that it reminded me of the dala-dalas that I took last year when I visited Tanzania. Unlike those overly-crowded vans, however, the riders of the subway were anything but gracious fellow travellers. Torontonians, it seems, get grumpy when they have to share public transit.

No comments: