Sunday, January 11, 2009

Another Electrion for Obama

CBC2 is running an interesting contest this month linking Canadian musical culture and incoming US president and noted music fan Barack Obama. The idea is for listeners to select the "top 49" songs that define us from north of the 49th parallel.

The first week of the contest, which ended this past Friday, was a general call for suggestions. In the second phase, which starts tomorrow and runs until this Friday, listeners will get to vote from the short list of 100 songs that was drawn from all the suggestions. Presumably, the final 49 will be loaded onto an MP3 player to be presented to the new president when he visits Canada.

Some of the local talk radio shows are having fun mocking the contest, but I rather like the premise. I know I am biased, being a Canadian and a fan of Canadian music, but I think the contest is an interesting examination of how we define ourselves through music and I'm looking forward to seeing the short list tomorrow.

And in a matter of shameless self-promotion, if you happen to check out the short list and see "I Lost My Baby" by Jean LeLoup, please vote for it. That's the song I suggested and I'd love to see it on Obama's play list.

No comments: