Sunday, October 29, 2006

Thoughts as I Listen to Music

I am sitting at the computer listening to traditional anglo-celtic folk music. My stereo is in the other room, practically untouched over the weekend.

I am not one of those technologically obsessed people who purchase the latest toys, only to discard them when something better comes along. I do not own an iPod. In fact, I've never even owned a Walkman, much less a Discman. I kept buying cassette tapes long after CDs showed up on the scene.

Having said that, I am not a Luddite. I have both a digital camera and a digital video camera. I burn CDs to my computer to listen to while I work. I enjoy technology when it can work for me and make my life richer.

So why am so melancholy as I sit here listening to my music? Is it because I am listening to mandolin-filled tunes that speak of sadness and heartache? Is it because I just realized how much technology has changed since my youth? Or is it perhaps simply the fact that I am sitting alone in my home office listening to songs that were meant to be heard by a live audience?

No comments: