Monday, January 15, 2007

MLK - A Personal Observation

Today is Martin Luther King Day in the United States. It commemorates the birth of the great American civil rights leader who was gunned down in 1968. King died before I was even in school, and he lived in another country, but I have been inspired by his example. So, I know from personal experience, have other people.

As part of my job, I have delivered leadership training sessions in branches in Canada, the United States, and the United Kingdom. I always begin the first session of the program by getting participants to identify one leader whom they admire and one leader whom they feel is a poor example of leadership.

My audiences varied in age, gender, ethnicity, and education, but Martin Luther King is one of only two individuals who have made the list every time I ran this exercise. (Gandhi was the other one.) Employees in such diverse locations as Phoenix, Atlanta, Glasgow, Vancouver, and Toronto have all found something about King's courage and commitment to inspire them.

No comments: