Sunday, December 02, 2007

The Best Christmas Ever

It is only the 2nd of December and it already feels as if I have been barraged with Christmas for weeks. Two weeks ago, I was put hold by someone at work and I heard Christmas carols as the hold music. Last Tuesday, I watched an episode of Bones in which Santa Claus and Christmas trees played prominent roles. Friday I went to the mall to get some jeans and I was already lost in a sea of Christmas shoppers. I am not even prepared to discuss the November release of the Fred Claus movie.

Judging by comments I have heard, a lot of people are trying to figure out what presents to buy people who already seem to have everything. If you are lucky enough to fall into this category, permit me to make a suggestion: why not help educate an AIDS orphan in Africa?

Having spent two months living at the Olof Palme Orphan Education Centre just outside of Dar Es Salaam, I can tell you that even a small amount of money goes a long way in Africa. $40 is enough to pay for one child's school books for a year. $75 is enough to pay a teacher's salary for a week. $80 will buy school supplies for one class. Even a gift of $10 will help feed the children.

If you are interested in making a donation, simply click on this link: http://vad.aidmatrix.org/vadxml.cfm?driveid=2096. The site accepts donations by Visa, MasterCard, Discovery, Diners Club, or American Express.

You just might make it the best Christmas ever for some very special young ladies.

No comments: