Saturday, June 03, 2006

Let the Games Begin!

I am not a sports fan by any stretch of the imagination. I have no interest in hockey. I love the romance of baseball rather than the reality of Major Leauge Baseball. I don't get the fascination with Nascar and Formula 1 racing. I would rather play basketball than view it. I sample sporting events the way stereotypical jocks sample cooking shows. Having said that, I am really excited about two big sporting events.

First, last night saw the first pre-season games in the Canadian Football League. Unlike a lot of people, I have no interest in NFL or US collegiate football. I do, however, find something enjoyable about the CFL game. My biggest problem is that I don't know who to root for. My traditional team has been Saskatchewan, but I don't feel the connection with them anymore. I feel even less connection with the Lions, even though I spent half my life in BC, so I guess I will commit to the local boys.

The second event is the start of the FIFA World Cup. I never played soccer, even as a youngster, but I gained an appreciation for the game during my trips to the UK. I enjoyed watching games during the Euro 2002 competition. Since Canada did not qualify, I also have the luxury of being able to choose a team to root for from the entire competition. I know I won't go so far as to buy a jersey or put a flag on my car, but I really am looking forward to the games beginning.