Friday, July 14, 2006

My Own Private Kahlo

I watched a documentary on TVO last night. It was about the Mexican artist Frida Kahlo.

I've always liked Kahlo's paintings, but I had never really known much about her other than she had a unibrow, liked monkeys, and was married to Diego Riviera. That's enough to get you points playing trivia games, but it does not do Kahlo justice at all.

The documentary presented a far more complex person -- a woman whose life was filled with physical and emotional pain. The most striking thing about Kahlo, for me at least, was the depth of her love for Riviera. As much as he hurt her, as much as he disappointed him, she still loved him. He was central to her life, but it was not a love that comes from weakness. It was a love that came from a strong person.

It was odd watching the show, because I have my own private Frida Kahlo. I am lucky enough to have someone feel for me the way Kahlo felt about Riviera. All I can hope is that I am worthy to receive such love.