Sunday, July 30, 2006

Things Ain't What They Used to Be

Things have sure changed since I was a kid.

There have been several news stories recently about men who convinced girls in their early teens to expose themselves or to perform sex acts in front of their webcams. Television stations run specials about how parents can protect their children. As people say, the world ain't what it used to be.

When I was a kid, we had one television and it was in the family room. We had a big console stereo in the living room and a smaller record-player in the family room. My sister and I each had a transistor radio. If there had been personal computers back then, we probably couldn't have afforded it. Even if we had, my parents would not have allowed me to keep it in my room - we weren't even allowed to eat in our rooms.

When I tell my nieces and nephews about what it was like when I was a kid, they act as if I lived during the Middle Ages. In some ways, though, I think people will eventually look upon my childhood as the last of the golden days of childhood.