Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Help, I'm Becoming My Mom!

They say that the older we get, the more we become like our parents. I have just discovered this to be true, at least in the kitchen.

When I lived at home, my mom used to cook a lot with dill. Now I don't have any problems with dill in pickles, but the thought of dill-draped potatoes never sat well with me. Imagine my surprise, then, when I found myself purchasing a large bunch of fresh dill at the grocery store last week.

Ostensibly, I was going to use the dill with a salmon recipe that I had seen in a newspaper. Unfortunately, I forgot to clip the recipe out so it is wherever they take recycled newspapers. Not wanted to waste food, even if it is only $1.09 worth of fresh dill, I scrambled to find something to cook that would permit me to use the ample sampling of dill that I had acquired.

In the end, the only thing I could think of was to make a cucumber salad. I sliced up a large cucumber, added a bit of diced red onions, blended in some plain fat-free yogurt, and added some chopped dill, parsley, and chives. (In other words, I took advantage of my predicament to rid my refrigerator of other unused herbs and foods.)

I couldn't help noticing, as I ate the salad, that I actually liked the way the dill enhanced the flavour of the cucumbers and red onions. In fact, I am actively seeking out other recipes to use up the rest of the dill. After that, who knows? I might even try cooking with parsnips.

No comments: