Wednesday, May 09, 2007

The Great Adventure: Episode 10

I have been kept quite busy over the past two days doing last minute shopping and other preparations. My dining room table is no longer available for eating -- it serves as the main supply depot for the "expedition". There are medicines, camera equipment, hats, sunglasses, and other clothing covering the table, and the selected garments are hanging in a row in the closet. I am at the point now where I am checking to see what I can safely leave behind, so that I can travel a little bit lighter.

I have also been in contact with friends and family over the past few days, saying my goodbyes before I leave. Many of them excited for me, and all want to see plenty of photographs, so my work is cut out for me.

As for me, I can't wait for Saturday to come. I am really looking forward to getting on the plane and making my way across three continents and one ocean. I have never been further east than London, England before. Alternatively, I have never been further west than Vancouver Island. Either way, Tanzania is terra incognito for me, and I cannot wait for my first glance of Africa from the airplane window.

The only thing regarding the trip that I am not looking forward to is the fact that I will not be able to add any posts for most, if not all, of my stay in Tanzania. The orphanage at which I will be staying does not have Internet access and I do not know how many times I will be going into Dar, where Internet cafes supposedly abound. I guess I will have to content myself with hand-written journals and, perhaps, a video diary.

No comments: