Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Hello Quatchi

I just looked at the pictures of the Vancouver Olympics mascots and boy do they ever remind me of the "Hello Kitty" paraphernalia that seems so ubiquitous in the Metrotown area when I lived there. I suspect the mascots will be big hits with the kids. I'm not sure if they will be as popular with the adults, though.

I suppose we should be thankful for small miracles though -- at least the mascots are (loosely) based on living creatures. The living creatures are: Quatchi,asasquatch; Miga, a "sea-bear" (half-orca, half-kermode bear); and Sumi, an animal spirit with the legs of a black bear and wings of a Thunderbird. There is also Mukmuk, a Vancouver Island marmot who is not an official mascot but who does act as their sidekick. (Sounds like a cheap excuse to sell a fourth stuffed doll to me, but tonight I am cynical.)

It could have been a lot worse. They could have made the official mascot an animated version of the inukshuk that serves as the logo for the games.

No comments: