Monday, November 12, 2007

Today's Commuter of Note

One of the things I like about taking public transit is the interesting range of people one sees. For example, I caught the subway at Queen Street station after work today. Although I was lucky enough to get a seat, a young man who got on at Dundas station was not so fortunate. He had to stand until a seat was freed up at York Mills.

If called upon to provide a detailed description the best I would be able to come up with is young guy, probably in his early twenties, dark medium length hair, and a bit shorter than me. No visible scars or tattoos, no distinguishing features, no unique clothing. In many ways he was the sort of anonymous commuter that fills the seats on the subways.

Well, he would have been anonymous except for one small fact -- he was carrying an accordion on his chest. I have no idea why he was carrying the accordion. Perhaps he was a busker. Possibly he was a member of an accordion marching band on his way to practice. Maybe he was on his way to or from accordion lessons. The possibilities seem boundless.

I suppose I could have asked him about the instrument, but in the end it doesn't really matter. It is enough that he was there, sitting on a busy subway car, resting an accordion on his chest. It's a sight you don't see in the suburbs.

No comments: