Thursday, November 15, 2007

Today's Concert Calendar

I almost think that I should rename this blog "The Street Musicians of Toronto", given the fact that I have written so much about buskers lately. Having said that, the most interesting part of my day involved not one but two musical acts.

The first was a group of five young Asian musicians playing near the King Street subway station. They were playing a forgettable medley of schmaltzy pop tunes, but there was something different about them that made me pay attention. Maybe it was the fact that the drummer had a suitcase in front of her snare drum. Maybe it was the languid manner in which the electric guitarist contributed to the melody line. Maybe it was the fact that the dominant instrument was the flute.

The second act -- and the one I actually gave some money to -- was an old black man playing saxophone at Sheppard Station. The upper level of the station is incredibly roomy, and the melancholic sounds expanded to fill the space. He played the most beautiful version of I Had The Craziest Dream that I have ever heard.

I can hardly wait to discover what kind of musicians haunt the streets of Hog Town tomorrow.

No comments: