Wednesday, June 27, 2007

A Whole Different World

I really like it here in Tanzania, but every so often I see things that remind me that I am in a whole different world than the one I normally inhabit. Take nose-picking, for example. It is generally considered poor form to pick one's nose in public in Canada, at least if one is older than a first grader. That does not seem to be the case over here.

I have witnessed dozens of Tanzanians, ranging in age from two to somewhere in their seventies, pick their noses in public. In fact, I have had several conversations with people when they commenced an enthusiastic bout of "booger mining", as we used to call it when I was a child. It is a bit disconcerting at first, but it is really a harmless practice, so one adapts.

There is a limit to how far one can adapt, though. I had no problem eating critter innards soup with Samora, but I really don't feel comfortable sticking my finger up my nose in public. However, I still have about a third of the trip left to go, so perhaps you may one day see me picking my nose on the streets of Toronto.

No comments: