Monday, August 27, 2007

Ramblings on Insomnia

It looks like it is going to be another one of those nights: a night filled with insomnia and restlessness, a desert of darkness devoid of sleep and dreams.

I should be tired. I have not slept well since Thursday night, and I have studiously avoided taking any naps. I long for a good night's sleep, but it is after midnight and I am not even tired. Yet I am too tired to read and since I don't have cable there is no point in even turning on the television.

In the past, I would have grabbed my camera and gone for a drive, looking for the hidden beauty that only us night owls see. In the past I would have, but tonight I am too tired to get dressed and, truth be told, I lack the creative drive. I have taken my photographs of gas stations and street lamps. There is nothing new to be seen on the streets of Newmarket.

Last night as I lay in bed waiting for sleep to banish the day's reality, I longed to be in outer space, taking photographs of gorgeous nebulae. The night before, I went to the imaginary world inhabited by the characters of stories and screenplays that I just can't seem to finish. The night before that I just listened to music -- Madredeus and some Brazilian acoustic music -- and watched the colours float in front of my closed eyes. Tonight, I blog.

No comments: