Sunday, December 24, 2006

Great Debates: Christmas Eve or Christmas Day?

Today being Christmas Eve, it seems a fitting time to address one of the great debates in modern life: should one open their Christmas presents on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day?

In the interest of transparency, I have to reveal that I grew up in a household that was firmly committed to the Christmas Eve camp. Our usual drill was to leave the home to attend the Christmas Eve service. Invariably, my father forgot something in the house, so he went back in to collect it while my mother, my siblings, and I sat in the car waiting for him. The service would drag on, the ride back home would take forever, and then we would enter the house -- only to discover that Santa had been there before us. Somehow, the floor beneath the Christmas tree was littered with gifts by the time we got back.

In time, I came to realize that many people were not blessed by an early visit from the jolly fat man. My less fortunate friends had to wait the entire night to discover what Santa Claus brought them. I was never sure of the reason, but I suspected it had something to do with going to that evening service on Christmas Eve.

Now that I am much older, I think I would change sides if I had children. As much as I enjoyed opening gifts on the 24th, I think it is even better on Christmas morning. It gives children an extra evening of anticipation. It gives adults something to do between Christmas dinner and the groaning board of desserts laid out by overly generous hosts.

In the long run, it doesn't really matter whether you are an Evist or a Dayist -- Christmas is more than just a day to open gifts. Whomever you are, wherever you live, I hope you have a great day celebrating according to your traditions.

Merry Christmas to all.

No comments: