Sunday, December 03, 2006

Tripping Down Memory Lane

I spent the weekend listening to cassette recordings. It is funny how I have not listened to them in years. I am not really a technophile, but once I started purchasing compact discs I stopped listening to tapes. Or maybe, once I bought a car without a cassette player, I started listening to CDs more.

Some of the cassettes were in rough condition. A few did not work at all. Others squeaked so much that I couldn't hear the music. One got tangled up in the workings of the stereo. Most did work, however, and it was a lot of fun reacquainting myself with old friends like Harry Belafonte and Miriam Makeba, Clannad, the Wolfe Tones, and 90% of my blues and jazz collection.

I suppose I could do the same with my vinyl LPs, but I don't have a turn table. Good thing I was smart enough to record my albums to cassette when I had the chance.

No comments: