Monday, March 19, 2007

George W. Bush's Linen Anniversary

The second Iraqi-American War began four years ago on this day. President George W. Bush announced the commencement of the air strikes that brought the phrase "shock and awe" to the general public. The troops went in, the statues fell, the dictator was ultimately captured -- and the war goes on.

Four years later, "shock and awe" has been replaced with "disgust and dismay". American troops are still heavily committed on the ground in Iraq, and they continue to take casualties. Iraqis continue to die. The bills mount higher and higher. "Mission accomplished" has become a bitter joke, an exercise in black humour and poor taste.

I do not know the solution to this morass. I doubt that anybody knows the solution. I do know one thing, however. The events of the past four years prove once again that it is easier to start a war than to end one.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't you have anything interesting to write? eg. your life adventures and stuff like that?

J S Phillips said...

I am not sure I have any life adventures, but I will attempt to be more exciting in the future. Perhaps in my next post I will omit all of the vowels. (Oooh, I'm a rebel.)

Seriously, I will soon be writing about some adventures that I hope people will find interesting. Thanks for the comment.

SilentGriot

Anonymous said...

Ignore "anonymous". I like your posts. If he is bored he can check out a bungi jumping blog.