Saturday, March 24, 2007

Great Debates: Why Blog?

A few posts ago I wrote that I was considering ending this blog. I got an anonymous comment, possibly from the same person who had commented on the lack of original comment earlier in the week. The actual comment was:

"You have things to say but you are hiding it from the society and I don't know why you are so scared about it. Spit it out and it will be interesting!!!"

I thought that my comments had expressed my own particular view of the world fairly accurately, but I can understand why readers might think I am just rehashing the news. And that brings me to one of the great debates: Why do people blog?

Judging by John Chow Dot Com (http://www.johnchow.com/), some bloggers do it to make money. To be honest, I have read a lot of posts about using one's blog to make money and I still have no idea what they are talking about. While this may be a good option for bloggers with tens of thousands of hits, it is really unimportant to someone with a small audience like SilentGriot.

Another position is that bloggers do it because it makes them feel important. The argument goes that bloggers enjoy the illusion of being a real journalist or writer without having to go through the normal channels. By commenting on news stories or supporting a particular political agenda or preaching their particular religion, they feel like they are somehow making a difference.

I've read blogs, mainly of a political nature, that really do appear to see themselves as speakers on a podium, but the majority of blogs that I've seen are written by ordinary people which brings me to a third explanation: people blog because they do not want to be ordinary. By maintaining a blog, people can feel as if their views matter and their thoughts count. In today's increasingly homogenizing world, everyone needs to feel a little unique. Blogs are just one way of being an individual.

But I think my favourite explanation for why people blog is even more simple. Like me, I think most people blog as a means of keeping in touch with people they have moved away from, physically or mentally. I live half a continent away from my family, so making the blog available to them is an easy way to share what I am doing or what I am thinking. And when you are by nature a bit secretive and reclusive as I am in my personal life, blogging permits you to talk about things that you would never talk about face-to-face or over the telephone.

In the end, I don't think it really matters why people blog, it just matters that they do. Blogging may just be the twenty-first century means for attempting to connect with the world around us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You don't need to blog to keep in touch with people, as I know people who do blog can be very antisocail although they think that it helps them to keep in touch. If you isolate yourself from the society it shows that you are hiding and fighting or in my own words "tigers". Not a very good ACT...