Sunday, March 18, 2007

In Memorium: Kevin Megeney

It's been a while since I've written about the war in Afghanistan. Unfortunately, the friends and family of Corporal Kevin Megeny laid him to rest on Friday.

Megeney was a member of the reserves who volunteered for service in Afghanistan. He had only been in country for 10 years when he was accidentally shot by a comrade. By all accounts, he was a great guy and a good soldier.

When the news about the death first broke, it was reported that Megeney's family had been called at his insistence. According to the news stories, he was adamant that his mother be called.

I once read a comment in a book about the Second World War that dying soldiers either cry out for God or they cry out for their mothers. Perhaps that is the case, but there is something incredibly touching about Megeney's plea that his mother be notified. Here is a young man who volunteered to put himself in harms way to help the people of Afghanistan, and his last thoughts were of his mother.

I join many other people in extending my sincere condolences to the friends and family who mourn Corporate Megeney's loss, especially his parents (who have publicly requested that no charges be laid against the soldier who accidentally killed their son). I never met the man, but from everything I have learned about him it is obvious that they raised a good man.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hello,
kevin megeney was very close to me.
he was my uncle, but with such a small age difference between us, i more referred to him as my brother.
id just really like to thank you, for the condolences, and for taking your time to right this.