Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Today's Playlist

There is nothing worth watching on television tonight, a result (perhaps) of the fact that I do not have cable. I don't really feel like reading, so I am listing to one of my favourite playlists. Most of the songs are sung in languages that I don't understand, but I love these songs all the same. Here's what's playing:

  • Theme from Bosporous Bridge (Orientation)
  • Takil Bana (Aziza A)
  • Sang d'Encre (Jean Le Loup)
  • Saye Mogo Bana (Issa Bagayogo)
  • Soldier (Dub Chairman)
  • The Vanishing Breed (Robbie Robertson)
  • Lebanese Blonde, the French version (Thievery Corporation)
  • Jackie (Bossa Nostra)
  • Vadzimu (Peace of Ebony)
  • L'Amour Est Sans Pitie (Jean Le Loup)
  • Ciranda (Marcio Farac0)
  • You Killing Me (Dimitri Pronin)
  • Song of the Black Lizard (Pink Martini)
  • Valse des Hypocrites (Mathieu Gaudet)
  • Hautoa (Oceania)
  • Shiva's Daughters (Arling & Cameron)
  • Stogne Bre Mome Kocansko (Vanja Lazarova)
  • Edgar (Jean Le Loup)
  • A Andorinhada Primavera (Madreus)
  • Salpica (Mabotur)
  • Afrika (Tukuleur)
  • Sympathetique (Pink Martini)
  • Valencia (Rachid Taha)
  • Daughter of Eden (Johnny Clegg)
  • Andalucia (Isabel Longnus)
  • San Diego - Tijuana (Harry Manx)
  • Wahine Whakairo (Whirimako Black)
  • Ouli Ka Bo (Idrissa Bagayogo)

The songs span the globe from Africa to Brazil to Quebec to Europe, but I guess that is why I like this particular playlist so much. The musicianship is great, the tunes are beautiful, and the voices connect with me far more than American Idol ever will. And when you have something like that to connect to, who needs television?

No comments: