Friday, April 20, 2007

The Great Adventure: Episode 6

Three things recently happened to make my upcoming trip more concrete to me (as if weekly inoculations were not enough).

First, I received my passport, with the requisite visa, back from the Tanzanian High Commission. There had been a slight problem due to a missing letter of invitation, but all was eventually cleared up and said visa is stamped, numbered, and duly signed in my passport.

Second, I got my credit card bill. You know, the one with the air fare, medication, and other trip-related purchases on it. My initial reaction at seeing the total -- a personal high, I might add -- was one of shock. Horror was soon replaced with resignation, and then excitement. While the cost of the inoculations was considerably higher than I had anticipated, at least I am (a) safe to travel to Tanzania and (b) safe to travel to other countries, should I desire to do so in the future.

Last, but not least, I purchased a new telephoto lens for my camera. I had been planning to make this purchase for months, but it is really only my impending journey that spurred me to take the plunge and actually buy it. It was a no-brainer: if I am going to spend two months in Africa, I want to take the best pictures possible. Since there are no inoculations against lion, hyena, or hippo attacks, the more distance between me and wild animals, the better.

No comments: