Sunday, April 22, 2007

The Great Newmarket-Aurora Safari

I realize that Earth Day was today, but yesterday was my big day outdoors. I went for a long walk, and I brought along my camera so that I could try out the new telephoto lens. I'm glad I did because I got a number of shots that I wasn't expecting.


As the name suggests, the common grackle is fairly widespread throughout Ontario. They are beautiful birds, and they never look prettier than when you see them in a marshy setting.






I was walking down Yonge Street when I heard a splash in a little creek at the bottom of the hill. I thought it might have been a fish jumping or a bird splashing around, but it was a very active mustelid. (I think it is a mink but my expert has not replied to my email yet.)



I realize that this is not the best picture of a muskrat that has ever been taken, but those little buggers are fast swimmers. I didn't even know it was in the water until a nesting Canada Goose started hissing. I took four shots of the muskrat, but this is the only one that came out.



My favourite bird in the whole wide world is the red-winged blackbird. I love the way they look and I love their vocalizations. Now is a perfect time to see them. You can find them around marshy areas or any other freshwater, in fields, or even by the side of the road.




I have seen lots of mallards in my time, but this is the first time I have ever seen one fishing before. I had actually been trying to get a shot of a different bird when I noticed what was happening with the duck.

No comments: