Thursday, April 05, 2007

My Humps? My God!

Sometimes I feel that I am always the last to know about the elements that comprise popular culture in North America. Other times, I seem to be ahead of the curve. I think I am somewhere in between today. You see, I just came upon a disturbingly fascinating video of Alanis Morrissette doing a laid-back version of the Black Eyed Peas song "My Humps":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W91sqAs-_-g

To be honest, I am not much of a BEP fan, so I had only passing familiarity with the song. I remember that it seemed to be in constant rotation on the air at one point despite its silly lyrics. Now, thanks to Morrissette's slowed down version, I realize just how silly the lyrics are.

Steve Allen used to do the same thing back in the fifties, reading the lyrics of rock 'n' roll songs as if they were poems, to take the mickey out of popular culture phenomena like Little Richard and Elvis Presley. In this case, however, I don't think he could have come anywhere close to the true horror revealed in Morrissette's version of a truly loathsome song.

No comments: