Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Stop the Bandwagon - I'm Getting Off

People, I know I committed to jumping on the Sanjaya bandwagon a few posts ago, but I really don't know if I have the wherewithal to stick this through to its triumphant (?) conclusion.

I tried to watch all of last night's episode of American Idol, honest, but I just could not handle it. The first four performances were enough to convince me that I was wasting valuable time that I would never get back, so I ended up going to my bedroom and reading a book on the natural history of skin. Whilst I stuck around long enough to take in Sanjaya's indescribable performance, I did not have the stamina for the last three contestants.

It was not so much that I hate country music, because I don't. I grew up in all sorts of rural areas where country was king and rock 'n' roll was reserved for degenerate city slickers. Johnny Cash and Emmylou Harris are two of my all-time favourite musicians, and I think Dwight Yoakum's early albums in particular were fantastic. I just can't seem to connect with what passes for "country" on Idol.

To be honest, I can't really connect with the whole Idol thing anyhow (and by Idol I refer to both American Idol and its equally excruciatingly bad cousin Canadian Idol). I didn't like talent shows when I was a kid and I don't care for them now. The thought of spending months on end watching as contestants perform and face elimination is horrifying -- it's as if the talent portion of the Miss Whatever beauty contest became a series.

So sorry, Sanjaya, but I'm hopping off the bandwagon. You seem to be a very nice kid and I wish you all the success in the world, but I won't be wasting any more Tuesday nights listening to you and your comrades play other people's music.

No comments: