Monday, July 30, 2007

Another Legend Passes On

Ingmar Bergman died recently at the age of 89. Now, I have a real fondness for European cinema, and one of my all-time favourite movies is Bergman's The Seventh Seal.

I know, I know -- putting it on my top ten list is a bit of a cliche, but I like beautiful movies and The Seventh Seal is one of the most beautiful movies I have ever seen. Other men shot black-and-white movies before, but few captured the transcendental nature of their subject matter the way Bergman did in The Seventh Seal.

To be perfectly honest, Bergman was not my favourite film maker. I know that Woody Allen considers him to be the greatest film artist since the invention of the movie camera, but The Seventh Seal is the only one of Bergman's films that I truly liked. (Eric Rohmer is more to my taste, but that is another story.) Having said that, this one film is beautiful enough for me to be eternally grateful that Bergman became a film maker.

You can put your chess board away, now, and rest in peace.

No comments: