Monday, July 02, 2007

Thoughts of Home

Yesterday was a bit hard. In fact, I think it was the first time the entire trip that I truly felt lonely. It is not that there were not lots of people around to do things with -- it was more that I wanted to be back in Canada. I wanted to be with Canadians, even if I do not like hockey and they do not care about Canadian history.

I met a volunteer here who was heading up to the Canadian High Commission office to see if she could get their assistance in getting permission to work in Tanzania for a while. She loved it here and did not want to go home. Back in the days of the British Empire, they would have probably said she had 'gone troppo' or 'gone native'. I think she just found something here that she had been looking for.

The same is not true for me. At least, Tanzania has not been what I have been looking for. I have loved my time here and I am glad I came. There is a lot of work that can be done here at the ophanage, so I am not ruling out coming back sometime in the future for another (shorter) visit. But Tanaznia is definitely not my home.

I guess, though, I can say that I did discover how thoroughly Canadian I really am. I am looking forward to getting home and starting the next phase of my life. In Canada.

No comments: