Monday, July 09, 2007

Six of One; Half Dozen of Another

I'm am really torn by conflicting emotions these days.

On the one hand, I am ready to go home. I miss Canada. I miss my family. I am conscious of missing summer, and summer is one of my four favourite seasons. I am also anxious to get on with my life. I have made my peace with some of the demons that have haunted me for the past few years. I want to start the next stage of my life.

On the other hand, I really have gotten to love this place. The orphanage is a very magical place and the staff are great. I like where I am and I like Dar. Tanzania is beautiful and Tanzanians are gracious, beautiful hosts. Most important of all, though, I will really miss the girls.

I have had a lot of time with them over the past week or so. I've helped them with algebra, chemistry, and physics homework. I have gone to Mass with them twice. I have eaten with them when all the other volunteers went to Bagomoyo. I have taken photos of every one of them for the school yearbook that I am working on. I have also been taping them as they sing. They are great kids and I really like them a lot. Leaving is going to be as tough for me as it has been for everybody else who has had to go home.

But until then, I will continue to help them with homework and sing with them.

No comments: