Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Kinks in the Wired World

They say it's a global, wired world and that is true. I mean, here I am in an orphanage outside of Dar Es Salaam and I am updating a blog that is read primarily by people in Canada and the United States. I have also been in email contact with family and friends. But there do seem to be a few kinks in the wiring.

For example, I can get onto Blogger and create new posts. However, for the past few days I have been unable to assign them titles. (As you can see, I am now able to assign titles to posts. July 11, 2007)

I have also been able to keep in touch with events back home thanks to http://www.cbc.ca/. However, back around the time that the French Open was being played out, the version of the CBC site that I was able to get to was five days old. The same went for a hobby site that I check every two weeks.

And cell phones are both a blessing and a source of extreme confusion. I was able to send text messages back home right from the start. My friend Sukh could get them but could not send them to North America. About a week ago, I lost the ability to send text messages to Canada. There does not appear to be any rhyme or reason to it.

However, I cannot complain. I read somewhere that merchants doing the India to Zanzibar run had to plan to be away for an entire year, due to the way the winds blew -- or didn't blow. At least I am not stranded for a year.

No comments: