Friday, July 06, 2007

My Readers Request -- I Respond

A few posts ago I wrote about a great Tanzanian song called Siku Hazigandi and I got a comment asking for a translation of the lyrics. I knew that the song was basically a woman telling off friends who were complaining about her boyfriend, but I didn't know the actual words so I asked one of the girls here at the orphanage to translate it for me. This is what we came up with:

For all you’ve said, you’ve done,
I forget them and I look forward.
How many words have been said?
How many things have I seen?
Mmh, you’ve said.
Ahh, I look forward.
Eh, I have been talked about
By others a great deal,
Don’t you get tired?
(Repeat)

You don’t care about the sorrows
Inside of my heart.
You dislike seeing good
Happen in my life.
That’s what I think.

Even for those who I believe,
Today you ignore me.
And those that I respect,
Today you judge me.

Everybody has sins –
Never think you are innocent.
You talk about me.
I dislike no one who is clean.

No comments: